injusticebusters logo

Douglas Garland guilty of murder

Douglas Garland "Man of interest" in the news - 2014  | CBC | CBC

Convicted of 3 murders, Garland appealing sentence as "excessive and harsh"

Douglas Garland

Douglas Garland found guilty in the 2014 murder of Nathan O'Brien and his grandparents

CALGARY - Douglas Garland was sent to prison for life with no chance of parole for 75 years after a jury found him guilty in 2017 of the first-degree murders of Nathan O'Brien, 5, and grandparents Alvin and Kathy Liknes.

At Garland's trial, the judge said the usual automatic life sentence with a minimum of 25 years before parole eligibility needed to be increased because of aggravating factors that included Nathan's young age and Garland not expressing remorse.

In a notice of appeal, Garland's lawyers argue his sentence of three consecutive parole ineligibilities is "excessive and harsh" and that victim impact statements "exceeded the scope" of what's allowed according to the Criminal Code.

Charges laid in jail assault on man who killed Calgary couple and grandchild

CALGARY - Charges have been laid in a jailhouse attack on Douglas Garland convicted of killing five-year-old Nathan O'Brien and his grandparents.

Three inmates at the Calgary Remand Centre have been charged with assault and a fourth man faces a similar charge.

Douglas Garland's lawyer, Kim Ross, confirmed that his client was attacked while waiting to be transferred to a federal prison. It was his understanding the assault was minor and Garland was being held in an area that should have been safe.

Police say he was seriously injured and taken to hospital, later released, and returned to custody.

Garland, 57, was found guilty of killing Alvin and Kathy Liknes and Nathan O'Brien and was sentenced to life in prison with no chance at parole for 75 years.

The Crown had argued that Garland's anger over a dispute about a patent for an oilfield pump that he and Alvin Liknes had worked on together had built up to the point where he meticulously plotted the killings.

He attacked the trio in the Liknes home, then took them to his farm where he killed and dismembered them before burning their remains. editorial

Compare the outcome of this case to that of the notorious 90s couple Bernardo/Homolka who raped, tortured, and killed two young schoolgirls along with the rape of a "Jane Doe" and Karla's younger sister, Tammy.

Who knows what else this couple is guilty of?

Paul Bernardo was charged with 43 sexual offences and is suspect for other offences. He confessed to one for which Anthony Hanemaayer paid the price and did the time.

There is also the case of Robert Baltovich where Bernardo is the probable killer.

Garland is gone for 75 years and Bernardo became eligible for day parole in 2015 and eligible for full parole in 2018. Of course he will never see the light of day. His applications have always been ajourned but in theory he could get paroled.

Meanwhile his accomplice, Karla, was given only 12 years [time served and released in 2005] as a reward for "stooling" her then husband Paul. Bernardo's father maintains Karla got away with murder or was Karla a victim?

Now society must accept that she is free as a bird and can strut her stuff in the Montreal area whenever she wants or wherever else she wants.

B.C. scientist using dead boy's name was Alberta fugitive

Tip leads to arrest: Suspect vanished after 1992 police raid found chemical cache

CALGARY - A seven-year manhunt for a chemist accused of manufacturing illicit drugs on his parents' Alberta acreage has ended with his arrest in Vancouver, where he had changed his name and was working at a college in the chemistry department. He had also worked for the B.C. government under his assumed name.

Douglas Garland, 39, vanished seven years ago after Calgary police seized chemicals, laboratory equipment and illegal drugs such as methamphetamines and LSD from a rural shed.

A recent tip led police to Mr. Garland in Vancouver, where he was arrested last week.

Police say he had been using the name Matthew Kemper Hartley -- a name that actually belonged to a 14-year-old Alberta boy killed in a car crash in 1980.

He faces charges of impersonation, trafficking in a controlled substance, theft over $5,000, possession of break-in instruments, possession of property obtained by crime over $5,000 and obstructing a police officer.

During a raid on the family property on Oct. 23, 1992, police found rows of beakers, Bunsen burners and boxes of chemicals. Methamphetamines are cheap, powerful, potentially fatal chemical combinations that are more potent than cocaine and produce a longer high. They can be made from a variety of solvents and acids, including methanol and acetone.

Described by police as a genius, Mr. Garland studied science at the University of Alberta, where he planned to become a doctor. But he left school without finishing a degree, then vanished shortly after the raid on his parents' acreage.

His name was posted on the Internet by the RCMP as one of Canada's Most Wanted.

Then police discovered that Mr. Garland had been arrested in Richmond, B.C., last October in connection with a stolen tractor trailer unit.

Last week, a tipster called Crime Stoppers in Calgary to say Mr. Garland was working in Vancouver as a chemist under the name Hartley. Within two hours of the tip, police made the arrest.

A college lab manager, who spoke on the condition his name not be published, said the man he knew as Mr. Hartley was hired because of his scientific credentials. The job dealt mainly with the testing of environmental pollutants and some testing of plants.

The lab manager said he phoned a prominent chemical testing lab in Vancouver where the man claimed to have worked, and received a glowing reference. In fact, the manager learned, his prospective employee had worked at the lab for five years. Mr. Garland had been responsible for supervising 15 chemists and technicians. He left that job in 1997.

At the same time he was also a lab auditor for the B.C. government, checking for quality assurance at various testing facilities.

Though Mr. Garland was "technically average," he was a pleasant fellow who was quick to do whatever was asked of him, said the recent employer.

"He went an extra amount to accommodate, he is a very courteous person," said the employer. "Even when he dropped a beaker he would offer to pay for it, but of course we would say no."

Mr. Garland kept to himself and did not socialize with his fellow scientists.

Beyond work, his activities during the last seven years remain a mystery, say investigators, who are continuing to examine the case.

Police have told the Hartley family that someone took advantage of their son's death and used it to create a new life. The parents did not want to be interviewed, but police said they were disturbed by the news.