injusticebusters logo

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms came into force in 1982. It was the so-called War on Drugs which allowed the police -- both local and RCMP -- to gain public support for violating the Charter Rights of certain people. The RCMP had long been responsible for gathering information on people and using this information to barter with other organizations within Canada and internationally. In 1984 CSIS was established but the RCMP maintained its own secret police. Over the years the RCMP built up a booming business, copyrighting emblems, insignias etc and contracting to perform services such as information gathering, finding people, stinging people and extracting confessions by using means which went beyond what police services who contracted with them would accept. The drug war helped fill jails and provided excuses for building more jails. But the War on Terror? This has opened up a whole new frontier.


Thanks to the Memory Hole for originally bringing this story to our attention.

Timothy McVeigh

Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh (right) was hurriedly executed despite a legitimate request from defence counsel for time to review 4000 pages of disclosure information that was given late. This denied the public the opportunity to know what was in those documents. We can speculate that there was interesting material which might shed light on how widespread is home grown American terrorism. U.S. government domestic policies are increasingly eliminating what used to be called "the middle class" -- professionals and unionized workers who in the past have had their reasonable expectations met and have provided reasonable responses to anti-democratic measures. Those who remain are frightened of losing what they have and so do not speak out for the rights of others. Those others, who have been cast aside, form a fertile pool from which angry, determined crack-pots can emerge. History shows us that in times of domestic trouble, fascistic regimes call on these dispossessed "serve the nation". Hitler, Mussolini, Franco.

Why is America not publicising its home-grown haters? Is it perhaps because Ashcroft and company see a possible future use for them?

Outside View: Who is William Krar? By Jim Kessler

WASHINGTON, March 14 (UPI) -- Since his appointment as attorney general, John Ashcroft's Washington office has issued 2,295 news releases. Not one of them has mentioned the name William Joseph Krar.

Krar's attorney is saying it's all a misunderstanding, and Krar himself is not talking, but his arrest by federal law enforcement in the small town of Noonday, Texas, last April may have stopped the most devastating terror attack on U.S. soil since Sept. 11.

Krar, who is affiliated with several anti-government, white supremacist militia organizations, was apprehended after mailing a package containing false U.N. credentials, Defense Intelligence Agency IDs, phony birth certificates and a forged federal concealed weapons permit to a co-conspirator in New Jersey.

The package came with a note that read, "We would hate to have this fall into the wrong hands." It did. It was delivered to the incorrect address.

An alert citizen contacted the FBI, which led to the arrest of Krar and the discovery of a mind-numbing weapons cache: fully automatic machine guns, remote-controlled explosive devices disguised as briefcases, 60 pipe bombs, nearly 500,000 rounds of ammunition and enough pure sodium cyanide "to kill everyone inside a 30,000 square foot building," according to federal authorities.

The arrest of Krar and two associates was the talk of the town in little Noonday, Texas, a sleepy community of about 500 people located 100 miles southeast of Dallas. But outside of a few local news stories and a handful of mentions in several national outlets, the William Krar arrest is the proverbial tree that fell in the woods.

Even more astounding is the stony silence from the Ashcroft Justice Department, which found at least 2,295 occasions to toot its own horn that are apparently more newsworthy than the Krar arrest.

"We don't spend a lot of time thinking about how we announce our activities," a Justice Department spokesman told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Really? This is from a Justice Department that averages two news releases every day and has never been shy to march out every triumph over the arrest or conviction of anyone remotely connected to overseas terror.

No, this Justice Department is obsessed with thinking about how they announce their activities. And that is what is so intriguing about this arrest and the conspicuous lack of comment from Ashcroft.

It is, to quote another famous crime fighter, reminiscent of "the curious incident of the dog in the night-time." "The dog did nothing in the night-time," said Inspector Gregory. "That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.

Is there a double standard at Justice between the public pronouncements over arrests that fit our current stereotype of terrorists and those that don't? It is a question deserving of an answer. As for William Krar and his associates, who knows what they were planning? Perhaps they were going to blow up the United Nations or release sodium cyanide poison in the Pentagon. Perhaps they were ultimately going to do nothing -- just stockpile weapons of mass destruction and pass coded communiqués to each other bemoaning the Zionist occupation of the United States.

We don't know because William Krar is not talking. And neither is the Justice Department.

Sentencing set in weapons case: East Texas couple had stockpiled chemical, illegal arms

Sentencing for a couple who stockpiled an arsenal of illegal and chemical weapons in an East Texas storage facility has been set for May 4, court officials said Friday.

William Krar, 62, and his common-law wife Judith Bruey, 54, are scheduled to be sentenced in U.S. District Judge Leonard Davis' court in Tyler.

In November, Krar pleaded guilty to one count of possessing a dangerous chemical weapon. Krar faces up to life in prison, but officials close to the case say that he's expected to get less than 20 years under federal sentencing guidelines.

Bruey pleaded guilty to conspiracy to possess illegal weapons and faces up to five years in prison.

The couple remained jailed in Texas.

In April 2003, federal agents raided several storage units the couple had rented in the town of Noonday, just south of Tyler.

Agents found nearly half a million rounds of ammunition, pipe bombs, machine guns, silencers and remote-controlled bombs disguised as briefcases. Pamphlets on how to make chemical weapons and anti-Semitic, anti-black and anti-government books were also found.

Beside containers of hydrochloric, nitric and acetic acids, agents found more than 800 grams of almost pure sodium cyanide, which can only be acquired legally for specific agricultural or military purposes.

If the ingredients were mixed, they could create a bomb powerful enough to kill everyone inside a 30,000-square-foot building, federal authorities said.

The findings led to one of the most extensive investigations of domestic terrorism since the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing.

CBS 11 Investigates Poison Gas Plot

Federal authorities this year mounted one of the most extensive investigations of domestic terrorism since the Oklahoma City bombing, CBS 11 has learned.

Three people linked to white supremacist and anti-government groups are in custody. At least one weapon of mass destruction - a sodium cyanide bomb capable of delivering a deadly gas cloud - has been seized in the Tyler area.

Investigators have seized at least 100 other bombs, bomb components, machine guns, 500,000 rounds of ammunition and chemical agents. But the government also found some chilling personal documents indicating that unknown co-conspirators may still be free to carry out what appeared to be an advanced plot. And, authorities familiar with the case say more potentially deadly cyanide bombs may be in circulation.

Since arresting the three people in May, federal agents have served hundreds of subpoenas across the country in a domestic terror investigation that made it onto President Bush's daily intelligence briefings and set off national security alarms among the country's most senior counter-terror officials.

William J. Krar, originally from New Hampshire, last week pleaded guilty in Tyler federal court to possession of a chemical weapon near the East Texas town of Noonday. He faces up to ten years in prison. His common-law wife, Judith Bruey, pleaded guilty to lesser weapons charges and faces up to five years in prison.

Also arrested this past Spring was Newark, New Jersey resident Edward Feltus. The New Jersey Militia member has pleaded guilty to attempting to purchase fake United Nations and Department of Defense identity cards from Krar.

All three have steadfastly maintained their silence, even though talking could reduce their prison sentences, and the investigation has stalled for now. Evidence seized and the fact that none of the defendants will talk has given rise to speculation that unknown conspirators may be still be involved in a broader plot to use Krar's home-built chemical weapons, government officials say.

"One would certainly have to question why an individual would feel compelled to stockpile sodium cyanide, hydrochloric acid, nitric acid, acetic acid, unless they had some bad intent," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Wes Rivers, who is prosecuting the case. "They certainly had the capacity to be extremely dangerous."

Terrorism investigators suspect that Krar, who has paid no federal income taxes since 1988, made his living as a traveling arms salesman who pedaled illicit bomb components and other weapons to violent underground anti-government groups across the country.

Sources familiar with the investigation say authorities especially fear that Krar may have manufactured more than one sodium cyanide bomb and sold them. After a traffic stop earlier this year while Krar was traveling through Tennessee, state troopers seized sodium cyanide among other weapons, one government source confirmed.

During the same stop, troopers found notes in Krar's car.

One of the notes titled "Trip" recommends, "You will need cash, pre-charged phone card, spare gas can and all planning in place."

Another note titled "Procedure" appears to represent instructions for carrying out some kind of covert operation. It lists code words for cities where meetings can take place at motels. Other codes appear to be warnings about how close police might be to catching the plotters. "Lots of light storms are predicted," for instance, means "Move fast before they look any harder. We have a limited window remaining."

The same note goes on to recommend ways to divert pursuers and suggests, "We want all looking in the wrong direction."

Since the attacks of September 11, 2001, counter-terrorism agencies have been consumed by national efforts to ferret out U.S.-based foreign terrorist cells whose members hail from the Middle East. Federal investigators were not looking for white supremacist groups when they stumbled across Krar by accident.

He drew the FBI's attention when he sent a package of counterfeit ID's for the United Nations and Defense Intelligence Agency to Feltus' New Jersey home earlier this year. The package was mistakenly delivered to a Staten Island man, who opened it and called police.

A note found inside and signed by Krar stated, "Hope this package gets to you O.K. We would hate to have this fall into the wrong hands."

The discovery led to surveillance operations in and around Tyler, and then search warrants that turned up the Sodium cyanide bomb and other illegal weapons at locations controlled by Krar.

Little is known about Krar and Bruey.

Two years ago, the couple quietly set up business as a gun parts manufacturer at a remote storage locker in Noonday, Texas. Krar apparently has similarly operated his businesses under the radar for years in other states before coming to Texas. As he did in Tyler, Krar rented local post office boxes and storage units.

In one affidavit for a search warrant, an FBI agent noted that Krar was "actively involved in the militia movementa good source of covert weaponry for white supremacist and anti-government militia groups in New Hampshire."

Until now, the little town just south of Tyler was best known locally for the sweet onions grown there.

Teresa Staples, who owns the storage facility, said Krar pretended to buy and sell army surplus goods at flea markets. Only later, when FBI agents swarmed the place, did she learn that the surplus goods hid dangerous chemicals and weapons.

"Why did they pick such a small storage facility? Why did they pick this town, because I know they're from up north," she said. "How did they find us?"

This was not the first time that Krar has drawn the attention of federal investigators. In 1995, the ATF investigated Krar and another man on weapons charges. The other suspect told authorities at the time that he and Krar shared an abiding hatred of the federal government and had been planning to bomb government facilities, court records show. But the suspect later recanted the story about plotting terror attacks with Krar. Krar denied the allegation and was not arrested, according to records.

According to a more recent FBI affidavit, on the day of the 9-11 terrorist attacks, Krar raised suspicion at a New Hampshire storage unit he was renting. An employee called the FBI that day and reported that Krar was "wicked anti-American."

While authorities work for a new break in the case, some counter-terrorism experts question whether the government might be overlooking dangers closer to home while fighting the War on Terror in the Middle East.

The Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors domestic hate groups, says the number of openly violent groups dropped from more than 1,000 to about 100 after the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing because of negative public sentiment. Groups that call East Texas home include the Ku Klux Klan, the Aryan Nations and Christian Identity.

In 1997, the Dallas FBI broke up a terror plot by members of the Ku Klux Klan to blow up a Wise County power plant.

Former Dallas FBI Special Agent in Charge Danny Coulson was involved in the nation's first stand-offs with domestic anti-government groups and mounted some of the first intensive domestic terror investigations. He cautioned that authorities should take care not to forget about domestic groups while concentrating on foreign ones.

"It's scary when you look at their capabilities," he said. "Look at the vulnerabilities of our society. We don't have to concern ourselves only with foreign terrorists, but we need to concern ourselves with domestic terrorists too. And these guys are very dangerous."

Tyler Man, Companion Plead Guilty in Fed Court

A Tyler man linked to anti-government and white supremacist groups pleaded guilty Thursday to possessing the chemical weapon sodium cyanide, and his female companion admitted to possessing a cache of illegal weapons.

In a plea bargain between his attorney and the government, William Krar, 62, admitted in Tyler federal court to possession of sodium cyanide and other chemicals for the purpose of creating a dangerous weapon.

FBI agents, tipped off last year by a cross-country mailout, raided a Noonday storage facility, where they found the chemicals and numerous firearms, as well as literature detailing the use of sodium cyanide to make a chemical weapon.

The literature described the making of highly toxic, poisonous cyanide gas, Assistant U.S. Attorney Wes Rivers said in court. Other materials found in the warehouse depicted white supremacist and militant beliefs, authorities said.

Krar faces 108 to 135 months in prison, according to federal sentencing guidelines and a plea bargain between Rivers and the defendant's attorney, Tonda Curry.

"You understand, you will probably go to prison for around 10 years," U.S. Magistrate Judge Judith Guthrie told Krar, as he nodded in acknowledgement.

"I hope after you serve your time and are back in society, you'll find peace to be here," Judge Guthrie said.

Krar and co-defendant Judith Bruey, 54, who faces up to five years in federal prison, will be sentenced by U.S. District Judge Leonard Davis after pre-sentence investigations by the U.S. probation office.

Ms. Bruey, also of Tyler, pleaded to information and waived indictment for conspiracy to possess machine guns, firearms not registered by the government and a 9 mm semi-automatic gun with an obliterated serial number, and the interstate transport of those weapons, as well as silencers for them. The defendant also agreed to give up 78 firearms and ammunition to the government.

Attorney Johnny Ward, sitting in for Ms. Bruey's court-appointed lawyer Eric Albritton, told the judge his client was told she faced 57 to 60 months in prison and is prepared for sentencing. When asked by Rivers, Ms. Bruey said she had intended "to accomplish the same purpose in the conspiracy" as Krar. She told Judge Guthrie that Krar never coerced her into conspiring with him.

"I hope that when this part of your life is over, the rest of your life is more productive and law-abiding," Judge Guthrie told Ms. Bruey.

A third co-defendant, Edward Feltus, 56, of New Jersey previously pleaded guilty to aiding and abetting the transportation of false documents and also awaits sentencing. A batch of false documents Krar mailed to Feltus alerted federal agents who began investigating the trio last year.

The package contained false identification documents, including North Dakota and Vermont birth certificates, a Social Security card, a Defense Intelligence Agency ID and a United Nations Multinational Force ID card.

Federal agents intercepted the package after it accidentally ended up at a household in Staten Island, N.Y.

On Thursday, Matthew Orwig, U.S. attorney for the Eastern District, complimented the FBI; the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; the Army Criminal Investigation Division and the Defense Department Criminal Investigative Service.

"We live in a safer world because of the efforts of these agencies," Orwig said.

Tyler resident admits having chemical weapons

TYLER, Texas - A 62-year-old Tyler man pleaded guilty Thursday to one count of possessing a dangerous chemical weapon after investigators discovered the components needed to make lethal cyanide gas at a storage facility he rented.

William J. Krar was charged with possessing sodium cyanide, a toxic chemical. Investigators also found strong acids in Krar's storage facility, which, when mixed with sodium cyanide, form extremely lethal cyanide gas, the U.S. Attorney's office said in a release.

Krar's co-defendant, Judith L. Bruey, 54, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to possess illegal weapons.

Prosecutors said they found a large quantity of sodium cyanide and hydrochloric, nitric and acetic acids in the storage room Krar shared with Bruey.

Investigators also found numerous illegal firearms, literature detailing the use of sodium cyanide to make a chemical weapon and literature depicting white supremacist and militant beliefs, the Tyler Morning Telegraph reported in its Friday editions.

Investigators found the chemicals and other materials in April while investigating Krar on an unrelated incident in which a package he mailed to an address in New Jersey was accidentally delivered to a residence in Staten Island, N.Y., in January 2002. The package contained false identification documents and was reported to authorities.

Krar faces nine to 11 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. Bruey faces a maximum of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

FBI Reveals Guns, Chemicals, Fake ID's

A Tyler man accused of selling false identification cards and keeping suspicious materials in a local storage facility will remain in jail pending his trial.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Harry McKee ordered William J. Krar, 62, to be detained after hearing testimony from an FBI agent regarding the defendant's questionable activities, including the alleged sale of fake United Nations Multinational Force Observer and Defense Intelligence Agency identification cards.

Last week's search of a Noonday storage facility frequented by Krar unearthed multiple containers of chemicals and prompted local officials to contact agents in Washington, D.C.

Authorities believe they found nitric acid in the storage unit. A package labeled sodium cyanide and several other chemicals could not be positively identified, said FBI Special Agent Bart LaRocca. Sodium cyanide could be mixed with acid to produce a deadly gas, he said.

Ten containers were taken back to Washington for further examination and won't be confirmed until later this week, he said.

Machine guns, more than 100,000 rounds of ammunition, pipe bomb materials, binary explosives and reading materials, including "The Turner Diaries," "Anarchist Cookbook" and articles from white supremacist groups, were also found in the storage unit, LaRocca said.

A search of a U-Haul truck found at Krar's home on Oak Spring Road also led authorities to more guns, a silencer, powder sodium cyanide and blank identification forms. Despite finding the unusual items, agents don't believe Krar was planning to commit terrorism, LaRocca said.

"I have no specifics of a plot," he said.

Defense attorney Greg Waldron attempted to show the weapons and military-related materials were used in Krar's business.

Krar runs IDC America, which makes gun parts and sells weapons. Although agents monitoring a mailbox rented by Krar's employee found legitimate business transactions being made, the defendant hasn't reported an income to the Internal Revenue Service since 1988, LaRocca said.

Authorities began watching the Tyler mailbox used by Krar after a package allegedly intended for a New Jersey militia member landed in other person's hands.

A parcel containing bogus birth certificates, a social security card, United Nations Multina-tional Force Observer and Defense Intelligence Agency identification cards were delivered to the wrong person, who notified police, LaRocca said.

Enclosed with the items was a letter allegedly from Krar, which read, "hope this package gets to you okay, we would hate to have this fall into the wrong hands," according to court documents.

The militia member told authorities he sent photos of himself to Krar. Krar then created the false documents for the militia member, an affidavit states.

Authorities seized a computer they believe Krar used to created the fake forms of identification. They are analyzing the hardware, LaRocca said.

Suspicious activity involving Krar has been noticed by officers around the country.

A Tennessee state trooper found atropine injections, a nerve gas antidote, on Krar when the defendant was arrested in January.

Marijuana, various weapons, a false birth certificate and credit card issued to "William Franco" also were found in his rental car. Notes detailing what authorities believed could be a covert operation were also discovered, according to court documents.

Krar told authorities the notes were to help his girlfriend escape her ex-husband. He also dismissed the fake certificate, saying it was made as a joke.

The credit card was issued under his mother's last name, because Krar didn't want salesmen to harass him, court documents state.

A fire in a New Hampshire storage locker led officers to Krar, who had weapons and ammunition stored there, court documents state.

An employee with another New Hampshire storage facility Krar stored items in described him as "wicked anti-American," an affidavit states.

"She said Krar used to say things to her such as the United States government was corrupt and he hated the United States government and all of the cops," court documents state.

Before Krar moved to Texas, federal agents in New Hampshire noticed known militia members frequenting his business.

LaRocca said Krar was holding militia meetings there. But on cross-examination, LaRocca said Krar's relations with militia member may be related to business since they are usually associated with the purchase of weapons.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Wes Rivers said he would present Krar's case to a grand jury in May.